Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Fly on the Wall

Recently, I found a 30 minute long video on my phone. The average length of a video on my phone is about a minute. I couldn't wait to see what was so important. As soon as I started watching, it was apparent this was Fin's film making debut. He didn't realize it was recording, and neither did I when I took the phone from him and placed it on the charger in the kitchen. The video went black but there was still audio; compelling audio. Have you ever wished you could watch yourself at work as a mom, just to gain a different perspective? Well, perspective gained. It just happened to be a stressful Sunday morning, with Jimmy at early meetings. At one point I leave the room and come back to Fin in tears, and I have to figure out which story to believe. I got it right!! And at another point I'm snapping at Duncan to change his attitude and even do my best whiney Duncan voice to show him exactly what I don't want to hear anymore. After Duncan whines (and don't get me wrong...there was incessant amounts of whining) over what cup I am putting his hot chocolate in, I lose it and the anger in my "I'm SICK OF IT!" is shameful. So I've come to some conclusions: I am patient with a lot of things (a lot more patient than I thought) but I have "triggers" that push me over the edge and I get nasty; both boys are huge whiners; Duncan has a real problem with name-calling.


2 comments:

Swenson Family said...

There is a good chance that I also had a stressful Sunday morning yesterday that involved copious amounts of whining and maybe some lack of patience on my part...Just sayin' So just know you are not alone. :) You're a great Mom Holly. I really miss you- I was thinking about you the other day.

Alison said...

The other night the kids and I were talking about being nice to other people no matter what they are like. And then they said we even need to be nice to mean people too and they might start being nice to us. And Grace said, "Like you Mom." Ouch.