Saturday, July 26, 2008

"If I Was a Grammar Correcting Robot, My Head Would Have Exploded" -Jimmy

So the group may not have been the most cohesive, but we sure did have a great time on our river trip. Liz's father-in-law, whom I now adore and to whom I will forever be indebted, took us on a 4 day, 3 night, river trip down the Green River. We spent anywhere from 4-8 hours on the river everyday and camped the rest of the time. We hiked to 2 waterfalls, climbed some gnarly rocks, had some good water fights, experienced some heart pitter-pattering rapids, perfected the farrier technique, got to know our niece a little better, and the best part...took all of our crap along for the ride. Oh..and when I say "crap", I don't mean junk or stuff, I mean human feces. Yup...what comes in must come out. That is the rule on the river and boy was that the topic of many a conversation. I feel so crude discussing the topic so far from the river, but it was a big deal. It's not like I personally had to carry it with me, but it was on the big raft, and I did have to watch them load and unload, every day, that container full of all of our outputs.

I was not a fan of that aspect of the river trip, but let me tell you what I was a fan of......no child for 4 days. Yes, I missed my little Dunkster, but not nearly as much as I expected. I was just having so much fun, and I knew he was in good hands, so I didn't worry. It felt like a week long P-day.

I briefly described all the fun we were having, but let me explain a few things. First of all the farrier technique is just a way of steering the raft. Jimmy picked it up so quickly, Liz named him the "Fairy King". I was so proud. We didn't all climb the big rocks -just Liz and I. They seriously were big. The only reason I risked my life in climbing them was to keep up with my big sis. I guess I had forgotten how stinkin' competitive I am with Liz. I can't tell you how many times I felt myself being motivated purely by the need to match or outdo my sister. The embarrassing thing is, she could care less. I am pathetic.

Well, despite the highs and lows of being married to the Fairy King, and realizing how pathetic I am, it was one of the best 4 days of my life. The only thing that could have made it any better, would have been to have all our friends and family (and all their crap) along for the ride too.

This was on a hike we took and If you look very closely you will see Jimmy under all that water. He was the only one brave enough to get in that frigid water.
Here we are on the first day of camp. Yes...it was even worse by day 4. Sorry, Jimmy...not the most flattering shot of you.
This is Jimmy and I in our favorite little read kayak farriering our way from some rocks.
Here I am getting a nice cold shower. Next time, sign me up for the warm shower.
Our boat by day, and bed by night. Thank goodness for Tylenol PM.
How romantic. Nothing like getting a sweet kiss from your hubby, while inside just wanting to jump up and run away.

4 comments:

Danny and Veronica said...

The next time you need some fellow crap-carriers along for the ride, let us know! ;)
Sounds like it was an amazing adventure!

Mike and Emily said...

Oh, how I wish we could have gone! Looks amazing!

Heather said...

Good times! Gotta love that you are still keeping up with Lizzie.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Sounds like you had fun? Is that the right word. Fun to read your blog again. Any chance of seeing you guys in August?