Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I Like My Pregnant Body...Did I Really Just Say That?

Yes I did and I'm sorry. I just read Jaimie's post and almost reconsidered writing this tonight but clearly I'm feeling the need to make some enemies. Let me first explain myself and maybe you'll come back to my blog someday.

During pregnancy is the only time in my life when I've been called "tiny" or "cute". And don't start rolling your eyes thinking I'm going to complain about being fat because I in no way think I'm fat. I have a pretty healthy body image but despite that I think I'll always consider myself as "big". Probably because I really was "big". I basically did most of my growing between ages 10-13. At 11 I was already 5'5" and over 100lbs. Looking back I can see I was tall and "skinny" but when you're at lest 20 lbs heavier than the other girls your age you don't feel skinny. I distinctly remember sitting at the lunch table in 5th grade and all these "little" girls saying how much they weighed. They weighed liked 80lbs.. By 7th grade I was full size, 5'8". I'm not complaining about being tall as a kid and sometimes I wish I hadn't stopped growing so early on, but it's definitely the reason I'll always consider myself as "big".

Anyway, it turns out this long torso is good for something -hiding babies. It doesn't hide them quite like it used to but I can't complain (although from time to time you might hear me doing just that). So yes, I like my pregnant body because it makes me feel "small". I swear the belly makes my hips and legs look smaller -if not to anyone else, at least to me.

Yes my back hurts, my organs are jumbled up, my digestive system is wacked, I can't sleep, I spend 1/4 of my waking minutes in the bathroom (I intend to get the real numbers on this one. I'll let you know what I find), I have a future UFC fighter in my uterus, my husband stinks, nothing tastes as good and I have varicose veins in unmentionable locations (not sure why I felt the need for FULL disclosure, sorry). BUT, sometimes people call me "tiny" and my belly "cute", and that's nice.

*Duncan kissing Finlay, taken by Sabrina
*Green sweater -Jimmy ordered this green J.Crew sweater for me as surprise for Valentine's Day one year. You'll notice I'm also wearing it in our out of date family pictures. He did well.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I'm glad you wrote this, because it's true, tall, lean women like you just hide babies better. And shot, short-torsoed women like me don't. But that's okay, I don't mind too much, just when people say mean things. And the fact that I was always picked last for sports. And I, at least, don't get vericose veins. Neiner niener :)

Evaly said...

I have a long torso, but I don't seem to hide babies well. Maybe because I have no hips? I have the body of a 12 year old- no curves. I worked at the MTC when I was pregnant with McKell and the missionaries were less than tactful. My favorite comment was "My sister wasn't that big at 12 weeks." Thank you 19 year old boy who knows nothing about pregnancy! Hope he learned to keep his mouth shut by the time he got married :) That picture is sooo cute- I actually thought it was Finlay at first, Duncan looks so little!