So today was going really well. The house stayed relatively clean over the weekend (due to the fact that I spent all day Saturday cleaning it and managed to stay out of it all day yesterday). So it was nice to wake up Monday morning and not feel overwhelmed by a to do list a mile long. The boys and I do puzzles for while. Then we turn on some kid songs and dance. After that they play in their room while I finish up some laundry and get dressed. It's great! Next we go to the library and read books then go in for story time. We run into friends at story time and have lunch with them at Chick-fil-a. So far so good, right? We get home and Fin goes down for nap while Duncan plays on the computer. I set the timer for 30 minutes (yes....it's about to go downhill). Sure enough as soon as that timer goes off so does Duncan. He cries. He tries to reset the timer. He kicks me. Seriously? All that fun stuff and good old mommy time completely irrelevant now. I am now the worst mommy and he hates me. I have to physically put him in my room and on my bed for a time out (this is after he's had several chances to calm down and pick a library book for me to read to him). He's on my bed now and as I'm trying to hold him down to keep him on the bed he screams in my face. We all have our limits. I roll him over on his tummy and spank him. I'm not sorry. I spank because sometimes that's the only way to get his attention. And it works. He stops trying to get off the bed. He continues to cry so I leave him to wallow in his misery and after a few minutes there is silence. After a while I go in and he's laying there calmly on the bed. I say I'm sorry I had to spank him and explain why I did it. He tells me sorry. We cuddle for a bit and then it's over. I would love to say that this is a rare occasion around here but it's not. It doesn't happen every day but should it happen at all? That's the reason for all the "why's". I just don't get why it has to be this way or if it even does? So I thought this picture Duncan took of himself was appropriate for this post. It shows his scary side.
Monday, May 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I am SO GLAD to hear that I'm not the only mother out there that has to deal w/ temper tantrums. I also believe in a spanking every once in a while to get Autumn's attention. You are a GREAT Mom and are not alone in dealing w/ the not fun parts of motherhood. LOVE YA! :)
Post a Comment