Saturday, April 2, 2011

White Genes Before Easter

So thanks to grandparents on both sides, I'm now 30 and every time I look in the mirror all I see are my squirrely white hairs poking out everywhere. I've been noticing whites for years, but now it's safe to say that I'm "going gray" or white -hopefully. To prove my point, Jimmy was so lovingly plucking out my white hairs -yes, I still have the habit of pulling out my hair. For some reason I love the feel of individual little hairs being yanked from my head (sorry -maybe TMI). Anyway, after we had accumulated quite a few he said, "I have to stop now or else we'll be here all night."

So now I'm faced with the question of what to do about it. I've dyed my hair once in my life. Am I now destined to a life of smelly boxed chemicals and expensive salon visits? Or do I just go with the flow and let them grow? Duncan would be so proud of that rhyme. Oh, and speaking of Duncan, for some reason we were talking about my white hairs and he told me that it's because I don't have enough melanin. I guess 4 year olds who ask their grandmas to read them kid encyclopedias know that kind of stuff.

So my question is -what will you do? My decision just might be affected by knowing what the rest of the old ladies are going to be looking like. =) I do, however, know one thing for sure. If at 70, I can have beautiful white hair like my Grandma had, I'll take it! But what about the 40 transitional years before? Do I dye, dye, dye and then just stop at some point? And at what point?

Ok...I just had to laugh after reading all that. It appears I also inherited my grandma's worry gene. Sorry. To make up for it, enjoy some pictures.

First, click to enlarge and you'll have your proof.
Second, Finlay trying to put on a shirt. And what is that face?
Third, Duncan's occasional T.V. watching position. Bendy boy.
* I looked it up. Pulling my hair out has nothing to do with going gray.

4 comments:

Danny and Veronica said...

I have had to start plucking them out too--ugh!! I am definitely going to dye dye dye until, hmm... I don't know when. Maybe when I stop caring...?

Evaly said...

You are so funny. I've never noticed any white hairs in your hair. It's a tough choice- it costs so much money and time to keep your hair brown. I have found a few gray ones, but it's not enough to make me dye it yet. I probably will dye when it starts getting worse. I think it really ages you. Nowadays, people aren't gray until they are about 70. It's so unusual to see someone gray at a younger age- even though they really all are! My mom always said she would never dye her hair, but she does now (she's 54). She looked around at the other women her age and realized that she was the only one with gray hair and felt like it made her look 10 years older. She didn't even have that much gray, but it made a big difference. (She has very dark brown hair) Good luck- I'm a worrier too :)

Liana said...

My MIL swears by a copper supplement that she takes. She says it reversed the graying significantly. It may be worth researching. I don't know.

Mike and Emily said...

Excellent question. I'm running into this dilemma myself, but my hair is blond-ish, so they hide themselves pretty well. I'm hoping when it comes to it, I'll be confident enough to go gray, no, silver, and just rock it. My mom went silver early and it was just too expensive and smelly to dye, so she's a silver fox. I love it on her. I think it looks elegant. And has for years.