Thursday, June 19, 2008

For lack of a better title, CHEESECAKE

So I made Mom MacDougall's cheesecake recipe and...not too bad. Not an exact match but pretty close. The taste was there, but the appearance was lacking. The sides kind of collapsed, and it wasn't quite as tall as Mom's. Any suggestions for my next attempt? Jimmy is thinking maybe I whipped the egg whites to much and there was too much air. I'm thinking that I have no idea what went wrong and he probably doesn't either. But like I said, the taste was there. For those of you unfamiliar with the MacDougall's beloved cheesecake, it is very light and fluffy, which is nice. You don't get overwhelmed by it like you do after a few bites of most cheesecakes. So...I'll keep trying, but even if my final product is still a slightly shriveled version of Mom's but with the same yummy taste, I'll be happy.

p.s. no post would be complete without naming some of the cute things Duncan is doing at the moment. He is learning how to catch. When it is my turn to catch he says, "catch Mom!" When I ask him if he is ready he replies with a very enthusiastic, "ready!" Oh, and he can't really say, "Sabrina" so he calls her "Bity", which sounds a lot like "pretty". Ok...I'm done...sorry.

2 comments:

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I have made the cheesecake countless tmes, that it has earned the nickname of "the dreaded cheesecake." Always has the taste, but it deflates and gets cracks. I keep trying to change recipes, but Tom won't have it. I chalk it up to the elevation and humidity change - I don't kmow. I've even had Mom MacD make one with me, which turned out great - but we were in SD with her pans and her old oven. Good luck, you might have a long road ahead of you - I wish you the best.

KP said...

What about the temperature of the oven? Hmmm? Could be too hot. Try turning it down a tad and cooking a little longer. I want the recipe, by the way. Or do I have to a Mac thru and thru? I am loving the pics of Duncan. He is such a boy!! My thanks to Sabrina despite my extreme jealousy of her proximity to him versus mine at the moment.

You know, you could start showing him pictures of us so we're familiar at Christmas. What do you say?