Sunday, December 27, 2009

TV Tokens

Duncan's third Birthday is looming and it looks like I will most definitely be the mom of a diapered 3 year old. I had this great idea to use T.V. as incentive for using the potty. I got a bag of pennies and called them T.V. tokens. Then I found a jar and put a sign on it that reads,

"T.V. Tokens 5 tokens = 1 show"
He can earn tokens for going potty as well as for cleaning up toys, sleeping in his OWN bed, getting dressed all by himself and other "big boy" stuff. After a few days of this token system Duncan hasn't really progressed one bit toward being potty trained, but he has learned math. I noticed that Duncan could tell me how many more tokens he needed to get to 5. I thought I would take it a bit further. I explained to him about "plus" and "minus" and then started quizzing him. I kept the numbers under 5 and to my SHOCK, he could do these simple little math problems.

Is it just me or is this AMAZING? I'm sorry if anyone takes this the wrong way, but this kid is really smart. I think he was born smart. I mean, what nearly 3 year old can read and do math? I just have to figure out how to keep him interested and motivated. And how to teach him to pee in the toilet (a much more useful skill for a 3 year old).

5 comments:

Emily said...

Is a mother ever happy? My almost three year old CAN pee in the toilet, but cannot read or do math! I guess we just can't have it all. Come back and maybe Park can teach Duncan to pee if Duncan can teach Park to read; you and I will just sit back and relax!

The Pierces said...

My three year old can't pee in the toilet either and after trying everything, including bribery, I've just given up. Guess I'm going to have two kids in diapers come April. =(

Amanda said...

lol, that is pretty amazing! my 3yr old can potty by herself, but no reading or math! you have a smart child!

Elizabeth Reid said...

I heard that the smarter the kids, the more stubborn they are. Maybe he'll be the only diapered 8 year old college graduate? :)

Marly said...

Have you heard of toilet training in a day? That's sort of what we did with our boys although seriously they have to want to do it! This is something you can't force or you can have bad side effects. Both my boys were at least 3 before potty training. Seriously, this is something they have control of and I wouldn't push too hard if they aren't interested.