I think this is going to be my new self-imposed rule. And the reason for such blasphemy? Well, to tell the truth, I'm sitting here feeling a bit bad about myself (oh heaven forbid we ever express any emotion on a blog that isn't a happy one) and trying to figure out why. I realized that part of the reason is because my family isn't as cool as the family I just spent 30 minutes (at least that's what it felt like but it was probably closer to an hour) observing via their blog. I'm not as pretty or fit as her. My kids are not as clever and I'm not sure their dad is as cool. My kids don't get to live in a big home and go see far off places. I don't write as well as she does. And the worst of all, I think they might love each other more than we all do, well at least it seems that way. What am I doing wrong? (Is this dramatic enough for you, because I could go further?)
After analyzing the situation for a bit I decided that I don't think it's really healthy for people to look in on others' lives the way we do through blogs. Ok, or maybe just the way I do. I obviously have a few issues, but I KNOW I can't be alone on this. I must say that it is different when I'm looking at the blogs of close friends and family to see their adorable kiddos. I know them, and I know a bit more of the "real" life versions of them. My problem is when I get sucked into blogs of people I kind of know or not at all. Let the comparing begin. Anyway, I decided that for my own emotional health, I'm not going to look at them anymore. I need to focus on who I am as a wife and mother and the needs of my family rather some imaginary expectation I think I need to live up to. So it will be hard but I'm going to try. I can't decide if I should just go cold turkey and not blog or look at anyone's blog or just limit myself to those on my sidebar. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I just wanted to get those thoughts out there.
And after all that, I can't help sharing this one with everyone. After washing our hands together in the bathroom I gave him an impromptu mohawk. I picked him up to show him in the mirror and after studying himself for a second said excitedly, "Shark!"
And just to keep it real, I've never been more frustrated with this kid than I have been the last two days. It better his molars and not just a change for the worse.
11 comments:
I agree with your blog observations 100%. I'm still going to read your blog, though. Rada te imam!
you took the words right out of my mouth - there's no way families are that disgustingly perfect. Plus, I wouldn't want to be anyway.
I don't read to many blogs other than people I like to keep up with. Since I have no self control it ends up being a time sucker for me. So I had to go cold turkey. :)
Our blog audience if about 75% family- grandparents, aunts, cousins, etc. I feel that I gear my blogs mostly towards them, though I love when friends are a part of it. Nobody is as perfect. Your blog is one of my top blogs because your writing is so fun. Favorite post was the one about your birthday. And yah, I found myself saying, "Holly only weighs that much and is how much taller than me?" It keeps us connected and allows us to see pictures of your growing kids and see small glimpes of your life. Don't give up on it. Just stick your tongue out at the person who is too fake to really blog what is going on. I just feel like I don't have anything to write about.
I did the same thing this last week. I found out my neighbor has a fancy cooking blog and I looked through it for over an hour and felt like a moron. I don't know why. But I hear ya. I have to impose this rule over and over with myself.
Do keep blogging because this is the only way I can keep up to date on your family!! Keidra still misses Duncan and wants to visit. We need to head down that way soon!
I agree that I want you to keep blogging because we don't get to see you often! But, I am not one to talk bc I the last post I did was to catch up on April 2010, Che's 2nd month of life-lol! I wanted to blog for a record of important events (and eventually print it), but it just became another thing on my list that made me feel bad if I didn't get done. And, of course there are the perfect people who must have perfect children for them to be able to sit down and blog that much-lol! Good for you! But, if you don't blog, post more FB pics or something:)
I've totally experienced that too! I usually don't look at anything for awhile- long enough that I don't think about it anymore. Then I set a time limit- right now it's 15 minutes a day. I set the timer and everything! It's not enough time to look at any one blog for very long and keeps me from wasting too much time (cause that's depressing too- when you realize you spent all your free time reading about what OTHER people did during THEIR free time!) I try to post regularly on my blog because we have family all over and Nathan isn't the best at keeping in touch with all his family. It's my way of keeping them connected to us. But, I try to write about real life too- it sure ain't perfect. McKell is driving me nuts this week. And I don't think she's teething :) I just want to say "You are 8- act like it!!" Acutally, I DID kind of say that tonight. Awesome. Wow- this should have been a blog post, not a comment :) Guess you can tell Nathan is working late AGAIN and I have no one to talk to! I really enjoy your blog and good luck!
I totally know what you mean, but I hope you keep blogging. You are hilarious and your kids are adorable. I love checking your blog!
Holly, you are a trip! I am guilty of feeling the same way and even comparing myself to you. It is a woman thing, I think. I think it takes a lot of patience with oneself and cognitive thought processes not to think that way. Darin says the internet is a way to keep the polished side of oneself polished and hide the blemishes. I'm not like that either. I bear my sense of humor (which many people don't get or appreciate) as well as my flaws and not-so-polished self. For me, regardless if anyone reads my blogs, my blog is a place for me to write since I suck at a journal. Lol.
I hope you keep blogging, though. You are amazing wife and mother. Take a look at what you did as soon at the same moment you were feeling down about yourself because of the comparisons, you didn't dwell, you grabbed your boy and made him feel special with a cool do and a snapshot. That's what being a great mom is all about, spontaneous with a touch of realism.
That picture is great. I love it. I'm glad you decided to keep blogging, but I totally agree with you and the comments here: it can be a huge time sucker and we end up comparing our worst with other's best. Not good. However, I like you point that it doesn't happen as much with blogs of people you know. Most of my favorite blogs are people I know. Oh, and your writing is awesome! One of my first thoughts when I started reading through your blog this morning was: "Man, I wish I could write like she does." Funny.
Post a Comment