Thursday, April 17, 2008

Why am I such a Jerk?!

So Jimmy said I was being jerky today and after a few moments of self reflection...WOW...I AM A JERK!! For some reason I don't believe people when they say they're sick. Jimmy has been saying he doesn't feel well, moping around, coughing, sleeping, coming home from work early and all I can think is, "Yeah RIGHT...You're just being LAZY!" Isn't that awful? I think it may come from experiences in my childhood with "being sick", because we kids were not the sick type. Whenever anyone stayed home from school or church for "being sick" they were automatically labeled... "FAKER"! I mean the assumed sick child could be hurled over the toilet puking their brains out and we siblings would still have a hard time believing they weren't somehow invoking these symptoms voluntarily just to stay home and watch T.V and get mom's undivided attention. I have to work on being a little more sympathetic.

2 comments:

Heather said...

HA! Hilarious, give Jimmy my sympathy... I know all about not feeling well these days.

KP said...

You sound like me!! Bart was truly sick with the flu the other day. I stayed home all day to wait on him. But then he was still slowed down the next couple of days as well.

I found myself having litte accusing thoughts as to the validity of his continued unwellness. I mean, he didn't really "look" sick anymore.

One day, he came home from work, as a carpet installer, with his hand bandaged. Can you believe on of the first questions out of my stupid mouth was, "When can you go back to work?".

Then when he had an emergency appendectomy while on a business trip to the east coast I went to be with him. Only to find that I could hardly stand to have him looking so weak and vulnerable.

What a jerk, eh?

Even Bart's mom who has a known rescue disorder and loves to practice her first aid (gained from years spent as an emt on the ambulance in Heber) on anyone in need of it gets just plain irritated when Bart's dad is sick or injures himself.

Weird eh?